Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Dismantling Session #7 - 9-12-13

After a bit of work reorganizing and purging the garage shelves of "stuff" I made some room for some of the larger and more delicate bits on the shelves. That completed I started stripping out the door interiors. I stopped short of removing the glass and since I figured it is safer inside the door for a while versus sitting on a shelf. The door steel is in GREAT shape and should prime and paint up nicely. The door cards themselves are in good shape but the backing board is warped from some past water damage. The previous owner had apparently tried to caulk the bottom of the door cards to the door steel, which in hindsight probably worsened the problem since it didn't allow water and condensation to exit. Since the backer board is Masonite (particle board) I am going to try to steam it back into shape and lay it flat with some pressure on it. That wont happen for a while but I have managed to steam bend wood and particle board in the past and I figure it is worth a shot before spending the money on new cards. I will have to get a new set of fasteners all the way around either way as the plastic ones were pretty brittle. I have bigger fish to fry before I tackle this job but I guarantee wobbly, warped door panels will drive me nuts in the future so a solution has to be found.

Passenger (Right Side for us Yankees) before and after...


 
 
Drivers Side (Left for us Yankees) before and after...
 



No comments:

Post a Comment