Saturday, November 30, 2013

Dismantling Session #11 - 10-13-13 - Pre Surgery Push

So my goal was to get the axle dropped and the gas (petrol) tank out before I went into surgery to replace my torn ACL in my knee from playing baseball. I'm still not to old for it damn it. I did manage to get it done but only by a day. Knowing I wouldn't be able to do much of anything, let alone work on the car, for weeks on end I had to get this done. Here is a break down of that day...

As you can see I failed to get the lower trailing arms off the chassis. They were on there pretty good and I also had a wrist issue (another baseball injury) that wasn't allowing me much in the way of leverage. My impact driver sheared off a 3/8" socket adapter in the process so in the interest of the gas/petrol tank I carried on with them hanging.



So there it is tucked neatly between the rear of the seats and the trunk/boot. Only four nuts to loosen on the straps and a good tug and it was out.



Pretty good shape after all these years.



The resulting empty cavity was in even better shape. It will still get a scuffing and a cleaning before it gets coated with POR15. I figure she should last at least another 33 years.


Finally a peek into the trunk/boot access panel to the gas/petrol filler opening. The hole on the left is the top access for the shock absorber. Again a little surface rust but all in all in good shape.

No comments:

Post a Comment