Saturday, November 30, 2013

Dismantling Session #14 - 11-16-13 - Morning Surprise

So after puling the gas/petrol tank I did a couple of rounds of Marine Clean and a chain in the bottom of the tank with some vigorous shaking yesterday. I needed to do a couple more rounds of cleaning inside and its a bit of a challenge to get all of the water out of the tank so I left a little in the tank over night to soak. I woke up this morning to find a soapy-rusty liquid on the floor of the garage. It didn't take long to discover the four pin holes in the picture below.

Sort of lucky set of circumstances because I might not have otherwise noticed them if I was shaking and dumping. These holes were probably a bit too big for the tank sealer to have worked effectively. As you can see I decided to skip ahead a couple steps and sand the entire thing down sooner than later, especially since the weather was decent and I can work out side. I managed to discover some additional pitting in a few spots that I covered up as well for good measure. As you can see below I used Permatex, a combination of a fiberglass and epoxy sealant, to cover up the holes and the pitted spots. This stuff dries pretty quickly so you don't get much of a chance to smooth it out to make it look pretty but it will get a coat of POR15 and be hiding well under the vehicle out of view.





No comments:

Post a Comment