Monday, October 7, 2013

Now this is happening...

At the tender age of 6 in 1978 I remember vividly sitting in the back seat of our 1973 Chevy Impala, dark green with a white vinyl top. We were sitting at a stop light in front of the Target store and White Castle just up the street from my childhood home. Pulling up next to us was another green machine (I would later learn it was British Racing Green), except this one was significantly shorter, lower to the ground and WAAAYYY cooler than the 73 Impala. My 6 year old hands and nose plastered themselves against the back window and I was hooked. TR7, the yellowish sticker said on the trunk (boot I have come to call it). I had to have one. Everywhere I looked I saw them and recall driving my mom, dad and sisters nuts as I pleaded with them to catch up to it so I could see it for just a bit more before it drove away.

I was a child of the Speed Racer era, so anything closely resembling the shape of the Mach 5 was the best thing EVER. Heck I would have settled for a Car Acrobatic Team car. I wished my Dad was Pops Racer and I wanted a Monkey. I wasn't much for a red scarf and tight white pants but I HAD to have a TR7, as in my mind it was the closest I would get to Mach 5 status. Growing up in the Midwest one is surrounded by Nova's, Malibu's, Ford LTD's, Grenada's and Aspen's. You could understand why a short, sleek wedge that would fit in the trunk of the Impala would grab me the same way my son today looks at a Bugatti Veyron.

After Years of that burning desire I finally set out about a year ago to find one I could call my own. August of 2013 I found this version that had minimal rust, all its parts, a damn fine interior and a willing and eager seller. I purchased this 1980 Canley Built Porcelain White DHC with 109,000 on the ticker. Its been sitting under cover for about 12 years and had barely a spec of rust on it, compared to many I had passed on. 

This is my journey to restore her to her original glory, with some upgrades to make her drive a little tighter around the twisties. I hope you enjoy the ride along with me as I take a fairly thin knowledge of vehicles into a full on study of auto restoration.    

No comments:

Post a Comment